Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Research Shmesearch

If past years are any indication, I should have a lot more in the way of written notes for my NaNoWriMo story by now.  As it stands, all I have are a few emails to myself and some post-its.  Oh, and the beginning and ending are both pretty well formed.

I'm a little conflicted on how much prep I should do before November 1 hits.  In 2009 and 2010, I had pages of stuff and a rough outline by now.  On the other hand, in 2009 and 2010, the story didn't feel as lively as my Camp NaNoWriMo novel, Sweating Bullets did. 

Sweating Bullets had the back cover teaser, some character names, and a few scenes ideas when July 1st hit.  Sweating Bullets was the first story in a while where the characters felt like they were doing what they wanted, not what I wanted.  Sweating Bullets didn't need the worldbuilding that I'm going to need for The Big Red Ragnarok, though. 

At the very least, I think I should come up with a few characters for Loki to interact with on each of the Nine Homeworlds and some visuals.  I know my dwarves are going to be steampunky and the elves of Alfheim will probably be feral cannibals.  Not sure about the giants of Jotunheim yet apart from them being quite tall.

Another aspect of the story I'm still waffling on is who will be tagging along with Loki as he tries to piece together who was behind the attempt on Odin's life.  Odin had two ravens that served as his spies and I'm thinking about one or both of them tailing the Trickster, mostly so he'll have someone to banter with.  Another idea I had was having a Valkyrie tag along, possibly with her own agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment