Friday, July 15, 2011

Camp NaNoWriMo - Day 15: Time for Some Reading

I was a little gunshy about writing anything today after my technological setbacks of the past two days but I banged out another chapter.  My word total is 37313.  I should write more but I think I'm due for some reading.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day so I'm going to attempt to get up at my normal time and try to get in a chapter before I head over to my parents' house.  I'm banking on going above and beyond the call of duty Sunday and getting at least two chapters in.  I think I'll be revealing Tommy's allegiance in the next chapter.  Also, I'm looking forward to the nuns trying to fit in while disguised as normal women.

I'm off to walk the road to the Dark Tower.  It's amazing how much I've forgotten since I last read Wolves of the Calla.  Until tomorrow, here are two little snippets that I like.

excerpt 1:


The nun called Hatchet spoke. "I'm Sister Mary Hatchet and this is Sister Mary Severa. We're members of a religious order called The Sisters of the Most Precious Chainsaw."
"Makes sense," Cooper said. He rolled a cigarette and put fire to it.
"Smoking is bad for you," Severa said.
Cooper raised an eyebrow and blew smoke in her direction. "It sure looks cool, though. Go on, Hatchet."
"Only if you roll me one of those cigarettes. I haven't had a smoke in ten years," Hatchet said.
Cooper nodded and rolled another cigarette. He lit the cigarette with the end of his and handed it to Hatchet.
She took a puff and smiled. "Better than I remembered," she said. Severa frowned at her. "What? I'm not breaking any commandments. There's no commandment that says 'Thou shall not enjoy a smoke after smiting one's enemies,' is there?"

excerpt 2:

Without warning, the Smartcar turned down a narrow alley. The station wagon was too big to fit so Hatchet was forced to turn at the next corner.
"See what I mean? That little booger is trying to get away," Severa said.
"Severa, that's pretty harsh language coming from you," Hatchet said.
Severa glanced at Hatchet. "Booger isn't taking the Lord's name in vain. Not unless that was Jesus's nickname in school."
"I'm pretty sure his nickname was Skippy but I'll research that," Hatchet said.

No comments:

Post a Comment